OneStat.com Web Analytics Trust People (once an Englishman in Philly): 18 Doughty Street grows...

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

18 Doughty Street grows...

The more I hear about 18 Doughty Street Talk TV the more impressed I am. It is just the shake-up that the political establishment needs and is also attracting enough heavy-hitters to justify some of its hype. I've just heard that a very well-qualified presenter has been recruited for foreign affairs segments who I feel fortunate to count as a friend. He'll be sure to provide the channel with interesting stuff to watch as well as intrigue to make it a focus of interest. This is just the right antidote to on-message politics and should allow a timely refocussing on policies and firm actions rather than purely personality.

5 Comments:

At 10:11 am, Blogger Ken said...

Surely it depends on how successful it can be in attracting an audience, though? My guess is that it might prove well-liked among the politically active and interested, but it won't provide a serious challenge to the so-called MSM.

 
At 12:51 pm, Blogger Edward said...

I think you're right - but in the same way blogs are starting to make the newspapers focus a little more on what they're doing with more reference to the reader and what they want we will see ideas such as 18DSTTV exert a similar effect in a more wide-ranging and engaging way. Just as blogs focus the mind and provide an alternative to papers which gives them a a competitive incentive to change and improve I think ideas like this will add to that.

 
At 12:24 am, Blogger Biodun said...

Congratulations on the new job, wish you all the best yadayada (and apologies for making unrelated comments to your posts :-)

Sad to hear you will not be in Bournemouth this weekend. I was hoping to meet some of the more interesting bloggers at Conference.

Take Care,

 
At 2:54 am, Blogger Geoff Gilson said...

But will it be as hard-hitting and honest as this...go to: www.conservativecampaign.com

 
At 3:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ken has a good point. If it turns out to be a collection of programmes for political nerds (like me) produced by political nerds (like me), that's fine. I'll still watch it. But it will be so much better if it gets to a much wider audience, especially floating voters.

At this point I should come up with a constructive suggestion, but if I knew the secret I wouldn't be sat here, I'd be running the BBC instead.

All I can say is that it will need to be something far removed from the usual Question Time panels and monotonic party political broadcasts to which we are accustomed if it is to catch people's attention, and get publicity.

Some elements of the controversial, some humour, originality, and a lot of personality, but not frivolous or superficial.

In short it will be bloody difficult, but I wish the project good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home