OneStat.com Web Analytics Trust People (once an Englishman in Philly): Musings Whilst Abroad (an occasional series)

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Musings Whilst Abroad (an occasional series)

Whilst I've been around the world I've had a number of ideas I'd hoped to expand into lengthier blog posts. Now I'm just keen to get them down before I forget them.

My first is this. Many of us are, obviously, pleased and proud to try to offer decent universal healthcare in Britain. We would like this to continue.

How, though, is it right that those running the NHS benefit by offering a bad service? At the moment if it provides such terrible service that a patient feels they have no alternative but to spend hard-earned cash on going private, the NHS actually benefits. The hospital has fewer patients, less work to do and, consequently more time. Perversely, however, it will also have more money. It becomes better off if it does things contrary to what a patient wants! How can this drive improvements?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home