OneStat.com Web Analytics Trust People (once an Englishman in Philly): Mayor's suspension a pointless waste

Friday, February 24, 2006

Mayor's suspension a pointless waste

I've just heard about Ken Livingstone's four week "suspension" through an interview with Simon Hughes on the radio.

Firstly, I ought to explain that I'm highly cynical about "Standards Committees" in any form. They seem to me to represent the crudest form of managerialistic (and purported) efficiency at the expense of the democratic process.

Nonetheless, I am staggered at the politicking which has gone on in relation to this, in particular by Simon Hughes. So many are merely using this as a chance to "get Livingstone", a man, incidentally, or I abhore, in a way which they just couldn't at the ballot box.

This entire matter strikes me as a non-issue politically, despite what he said being mildly offensive. What I do find shocking is that our democratic system permits non-entities to suspend an elected mayor, who'll still be paid, for a month and thereby frustrate the intentions of so many Londoners. What a pointless waste.

3 Comments:

At 3:00 pm, Blogger Ken said...

Exactly. PC people may not like it, but we have a right to elect insensitive bastards if that's who we like.

 
At 12:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's extremely difficult to support such a nasty little bastard as Livingstone, but free speech is free speech, and suspending him was not a good idea.

 
At 9:49 am, Blogger Edward said...

Is it free any more though..?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home